For a long time the people of greater Sylhet have realized the Professional education and better health care services for community development. During the British period the community leaders were striving hard to establish a medical college in Sylhet with a view to develop the existing health care system.
Accordingly then the government of Asham agreed to establish a Medical College at Sylhet and construction work of the college and the hostel building started here in 1934. But due to the influence of some evil high official adviser the project was shifted to Gouhati. Then the Asham government while under pressure announced an official gazette that a medical school would be established at Sylhet instead of college. After some time the proposed building was converted to hospital in 1936 which was later upgraded to cater for British and allied troops of the Burma front in the Second World War. In the year 1948 the hospital was further upgraded and converted into a Medical School with appropriate teaching staff and residential accommodation in order to produce Licentiate Medical Faculty doctors (LMF).
Later on in 1962 then the Pakistan government, while under pressure, decided to start a five years graduate course of study leading to award of the MBBS degree. The seat capacity was inadequate in relation to population.NORTHEAST MEDICAL COLLEGE HOSPITAL
Northeast Medical College Hospital was established in 1996 with the united effort of some special doctors and social worker in heart of the town of Sylhet to provide medical services to the community with an affordable cost.
The honorable speakers Alhaj Humayun Rashid Chowdhury inaugurate Northeast Medical College Hospital on 9th August 1996.NORTHEAST MEDICAL COLLEGE
There after the founder realises need to establish a private medical college to meet the increasing demand of meritorious students and to fulfill the demand of country for specialized doctor. Northeast medical Pvt. Ltd. founded Northeast Medical College in 1998. There after laying Foundation of North East Medical College by honorable Health and Family Welfare Minister Jonab Sala Uddin Yousuf on 12 December, 1999.
Further 6 (Six) acres of land has been acquired in south Surma near the Sylhet –Dhaka high way & the construction of college and hospital building including administrative block has been completed. This was inaugurated by Honorable Finance and Planning Minister Jonab Alhaj M. Saifur Rahman, M.P on 24th May 2002. Further the institute upgraded to 600 bedded hospital and multistoried college building. The college and hospital is managed by staff of excellent Professional personnel whose expertise & experiences have enriched the Teaching Research and Health Care system.